What are some of the benefits to volunteering?
- Volunteering leads to better health.
- Older volunteers are most likely to receive physical and mental health benefits.
- Volunteer activities strengthen social ties.
- Volunteering protects individuals from isolation.
- Helping others leads to a sense of greater self-worth and trust.
- Volunteers are less likely to suffer from ill health later in life.
Corporation for National and Community Service, Office of Research and Policy Development. The Health Benefits of Volunteering: A Review of Recent Research, Washington, DC 2007.